The YM&YWHA of Washington Heights & Inwood (the Y) always takes the health, safety, and well-being of our members and program participants very seriously.
We are closely monitoring the possible spread of the new coronavirus (COVID-19) in our area and taking all preventive measures recommended by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (NYC DOHMH).
While the Y always performs routine environmental cleaning, we have further enhanced our protocol — increasing the frequency for countertops, doorknobs, and touched surfaces. In addition, we have provided practical information to all of our staff and are increasing preventive measures signage in our facility for the benefit of our membership.
The NYC DOHMH recommends New Yorkers should go about their daily lives, but take certain precautions.
- Get the flu shot — it’s not too late. Although the flu shot will not protect you from COVID-19, it will help prevent the flu which has similar symptoms to this coronavirus.
- Cover your coughs and sneezes with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands).
- Wash hands often with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds.
- Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available.
- Do not touch your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands.
- If you feel sick, stay home.
- If you have fever, cough and/or shortness of breath, and recently traveled to an area with ongoing spread of coronavirus, or have been in close contact with someone who has recently traveled to any of those areas, go to your doctor.
- If you have these symptoms, but no travel history, stay home and call your doctor.
- If you need a connection to a health care provider, call 311.
- Hospital staff will not ask about immigration status. Receiving health care is not a public benefit identified by the public charge test.
This is a rapidly changing situation. Please visit NYC Health for the latest updates. Information is available in several languages:
We remain diligent in providing a healthy environment at the Y and will continue working with our community partners for guidance. As necessary, we will share updates on our website at http://www.ywashhts.org/coronavirus-update.
Wishing you and your family good health,
Martin G. EnglisherChief Executive Officer